So the next topic for Search Engine Optimization tips and tricks is about Meta Tags. What meta tags are important? is discussed below.
What is Meta tag?
Meta tags tell Search engines about your page content. They provide metadata (data about data) of your webpage. They don’t appear on page but can be found in a web page’s source code.
A list of meta tags that every web page should have:
- Page title
- Meta description
- Open graph and social meta tags
1. Page title
Page title is a must have, it sets a title for the page. You need this tag in your article and it should be well seo optimized. Here are few seo tips for title optimizations:
- Make it attractive
- Try to include ‘what are/is’ and ‘how to’ keywords
- Try to include your content keywords
- Try to add a number in title like ‘SEO Tip 01 – The Content‘
- Add your site name or contraction at the end of your title after page name
2. Meta description
Meta description is the most important meta tag. Since Google doesn’t use Meta keywords anymore, instead they use meta description and a bunch of other factors to rank pages in search results. Meta description can be used to show a really cool, attractive and relative snippet to users who are searching.
An attractive meta description text snippet can attract users and can result in more clicks and conversions.
3. Open graph and social meta tags
Open graph and social meta tags are a must have! Because they change the way your content will look on social media when shared. A list of all Open graph tags can be found here.
Following open graph tags are important:
- og:title – The title of your object as it should appear within the graph, e.g., “The Rock”.
- og:type – The type of your object, e.g., “video.movie”. Depending on the type you specify, other properties may also be required.
- og:image – An image URL which should represent your object within the graph.
- og:url – The canonical URL of your object that will be used as its permanent ID in the graph, e.g., “http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117500/”.
- og:description – A one to two sentence description of your object.
A webpage with important above meta tags
<title>SEO Tip 03 - meta tags, meta description and meta keywords</title> <meta property="og:title" content="SEO Tip 03 - meta tags, meta description and meta keywords" /> <meta name="description" content="A list of meta tags that every web page should have"/> <meta property="og:url" content="http://onlineteachinghub.com/seo-meta-tags/" /> <meta property="og:image" content="http://onlineteachinghub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/leaning-on-meta-tags-large.jpg" />
No search engine uses meta keywords to rank or index pages in anyway now. It was good few years ago but not now, search engines like Google has already stopped looking for these. So stop wasting time in it. Focus on the title, description and social media tags only.
These 3 meta tags are the most important and in this advanced age of technology and developing search engine algorithms, I believe these are the only meta tags that you need.